Pages

Monday 22 November 2010

Let it hailstone!

The Christmas play is upon us once more. Unlike the mother of one of Son's classmates, I did not decide to christen Son 'Joseph' in a shallow - but surprisingly effective - attempt to propel him to dramatic stardom. As a result, we must endure another year of angst re. Son's faltering stage career.

This year, Years 1 and 2 will be performing a lesser known interpretation of the nativity in which 3 robins have the lead roles. Cynical parents realise there are 3 robins because by Christmas robin 1 will be bed-ridden with flu and robin 2 will throw up en route to the school hall, leaving just robin 3 to valiantly stagger on. Son, on the other hand, sees this as divine assurance that he will be one of them. 'If there are 3 robins mummy then of course one of them must be me!'.

The remaining cast list has the usual suspects - Mary, Joseph, a donkey - plus 9 stars, 9 big clouds (because who'd want to be a small one?), 5 feathered friends, 8 dancing trees and - my personal favourite - 10 hailstones!

As soon as I read about the hailstones, 3 questions sprang to mind:

1. How have I missed the prominent role of hailstones in the nativity all these years? (and me, the child of religious zealots!)

2. How does one coach one's child into the role of a hailstone... let along produce a costume?

3. What will I say to Son when he turns out to be one?

1 comment:

  1. The costume bit of that would be keeping me awake - at least with a sheep you know its going to be a lot of cotton wool (and for clouds too I suppose) but a hailstone????

    ReplyDelete